In Oracle HCM Cloud Application, a value set is used to include a list of values choices in reports and flex fields for collecting and choosing user input.
Purpose of creating value set in oracle fusion cloud application–
A value set is a list of values with validation that will be used to restrict the user without entering the invalid data in the parameter and it can be used to assign valid values to a flex field segment to control the values that are used for business object attributes.
When we first define flex fields, we choose how many segments we want to use and in what order we want them to appear. We also choose how we want to validate each of our segments. The decisions we make affect how we define value sets and values.
A user enters a value for an attribute of a business object while using the application. The flex field validates the value against the set of valid values that we configured as a value set and assigned to the segment.
For example, we can define a required format, such as a five-digit number, or a list of valid values, such as green, red, and blue.
Value sets are used in two scenarios.
1. Concurrent Program parameters.
2. While defining Flex fields.
Types of value sets:
There are five types of values and they are listed below:
1. Format only
In order to create a new value set we have to login to application with the user with appropriate login credentials and choose ‘Manage value sets’ task under ‘Setup and maintenance’. Navigator > Setup and Maintenance > Manage value sets Creating a custom Value set, once we click on ‘Manage value sets’ a new page would allow us to search for existing value sets as well as allow creation of new ones.
Now we click on the (+) icon under the Search Results Section it would open up a new window.
- Independent Value set: – Independent value set is used to validate input against a list that isn’t stored in an application table and is not dependent on a subset of another independent value set. Example: Independent Value set and Value Details:
2. Dependent Value Set: – A dependent value set is similar to an independent value set, except that the available values in the list and the meaning of a given value depend on which independent value was selected in a prior segment of the FLEXFIELD structure. We can think of a dependent value set as a collection of little value sets, with one little set for each independent value in the corresponding independent value set. We must define our independent value set before we define the dependent value set that depends on it. For example, valid holidays depend on which country you are in. Example: Dependent Value Set and Values details.
3. Format-Only Value Set: – Format only validation type enables end users to enter any values, as long as it meets your specified formatting rules. That is, the value must not exceed the maximum length you define for your value set, and it must meet any format requirements for that value set. Example: Format only Value set and Values details.
4. Subset Value set: –Subset Value set is used to limit the list of values based on a value set. However, instead of creating a new value set, we can re-use the existing independent value sets for values and choose the values that we want to create for the subset value set. Example: – Subset Value set and Value details
5. Table Value Set: –
Table Value Set is used when the values you want to use are already maintained in an application table, such as table of vendor names. Specify the table column name that contains the valid value. We can optionally specify the description and ID columns, a WHERE clause to limit the values to use for your set, and an ORDER BY clause. Example: – Table Value Set
Use Cases of Value sets:
- All types of Value sets can be used to validate the data for the flex field segments (DFF, EFF, KFF)
- Only Table type Value sets can be used to get data from the application tables and then they can be used in fast formula when there are NO database items defined.
- Only table type value sets are used to get data in HCM extracts when database items are not defined.
To get all details of lookups in the application, simply use the below query:
So, this is how Value sets in Oracle HCM will be used widely across HR and Payroll Modules. They are used in Flexfields, Payroll Flows, Fast formulas, HCM Exracts etc.