What is Process Mining?
- Process Mining is a holistic approach to process optimization.
- Process Mining provides fact-based insights into processes, based on data stored in the corporate IT systems.
- The insights from process mining can be used to plan successful automation, monitor the impact of a change to a process and wider business goals.
Fig 1: Process Mining flow.
Why Process Mining?
Understanding your process end to end will help in
Types of Process Mining?
Process discovery uses event log data to create a process model without outside influence. In this classification, no previous process model would exist to inform the development of a new process model. This type of process mining is the most widely used model.
Conformance checking confirms if the intended process model is reflected in practice. This type of process mining compares a process description to an existing process model based on its event log data, identifying any deviations from the intended model.
This type of process mining has also been referred to as extension, organizational mining, or Performance Mining. In this type of Process Mining, additional information is used to improve an existing process model.
Where does “Process Mining” fit within RPA Platform?
- Process Mining gives you data driven insights and understanding of complex end to end processes, to continuously optimize and accelerate automation in the context of processes.
- The product belongs to the “Discover” stage of the RPA Platform.
How does Process Mining works?
Process Mining transforms the data into an event log and then creates visualizations of the end to end process, along with insightful analysis.
Step 1:Discover your process using Digital Data.
- For ex: Enterprise system—like SAP, Salesforce or Oracle—captures event data related to your processes.
- Process mining reads this data and transforms it into an event log.
- Event Log contains 3 key Information I.e. Time stamp, Case ID, an Activity.
Step 2:Analysis of Event Log Data.
- Using the Event Log data, Process mining tool creates a process graphs, that helps us understand the process. I.e. It includes Timing of each step and all the variations in the process flows.
For ex: Ideal Process is the happy flow of the Process show in Fig1.
Fig 2. shows Process Mining graph created on the right based on Event log helps us understand the process deviations, Process exceptions, workarounds, workflow inefficiencies if any in the process.
Fig 1: Expected Process Fig 2: Actual Process
Step 3: Prioritize and Optimize
Process Mining Tools helps us to prioritize, what can be optimized, how to do it and what the return on your efforts will be on the automation solution build.
Return on Investment (ROI) = More efficient RPA Projects + More efficient Business
More Efficient RPA Projects = Complete Processes x % Faster
Process Mining Best practices?
- Understand the end- to – end processes -> Visualize and analyses your current processes and view automation rates.
- Identify the best processes for RPA -> Use process insights to streamline processes.
- Automate and monitor end to end -> Automate the most profitable processes and keep monitoring the bots.
- Follow up and improve -> Utilize machine learning techniques that helps in predictions that are going to be late.
What are the typical “Use cases” for Process Mining?
Process Mining is beneficial for many situations in organizations, where process mining methodology has been applied actively, although other areas also can gain immediate benefits from using the same process mining models.
Some of the most common Process Mining use cases are as follows:
Robotic process automation
Understand the actual process, variations and automation opportunities in order to succeed in RPA Projects.
Process KPI Reporting
Create complete process KP I’s and dashboards for any given process.
Understand the “big picture” how organization work, what to prioritize, and what to transform
Auditing and compliance
Drive Compliance with agreed processes, rules and regulations.
Identify Bottlenecks, rework and other symptoms of inefficient processes.
Note: Some of the common industries where process Mining is applied are Banking and Finance, Telecommunication, Manufacturing, Management Consulting, Retail etc.
How does “Process Mining” help the businesses to succeed?
Process Mining enables discovery, monitoring and improvement of real processes by extracting knowledge from event logs and cane be used to speed up the Delivery.
- Integration, Automation and Collaboration.
- Removal of Process conflicts/Deadlocks.
- Continuous Improvement: evaluate improvement ->identify shortcomings-> improve again
- Cost reduction ->reduction of throughput -> elimination of defects
- Mitigation of Threads and Risks.
- Enhance customer satisfaction.
Most commonly used Process Mining Tools?
Below mentioned are the TOP 4 Process Mining Tools:
- UIPATH Process Mining
- Nintex Promapp
- IBM Blueworks Live