Mind Map for Testing
A Mind map is a diagram used to visually organize information. A Mind map is hierarchical and shows relationships among pieces of the whole, we will see how mind maps can be used to visualize the scenarios rather than capturing the scenarios ins spread sheet.
What is Mind Map?
Visual representation that provides a creative way to logically plan the testing, it is often created around a single concept, drawn as an image in the center of a blank page, to which associated representations of ideas such as images, works and parts of words are added. Major ideas are connected directly to the central concept, and other ideas branch out from those.
Mind maps tools can have notes, links, nodes that can be unfolded and folded, Zoomed and secreted to add more details into the map.
It can be used in variety of testing activities like requirements analysis, test design, testing planning, measuring test coverage etc.
They can also be used to granular level like validation of test case or depicting steps of a complex test case.
In computer science is breaking a complex problem into parts that are easier to conceive, understand, program, and maintain which is nothing but Decomposition.
Why Mind Maps?
- Increases creativity
- Helps in problem solving
- Tester can think, steps are spoon feeding
- It used a tree based graphical structure which imprints better on the brain, then a tabular structure.
- Increases test coverage
- Simple execution and to implement the idea
- Flexible and easy to maintain
How do write mind map
Central content is a trunk of a tree that is your main topic where it may have many branches to it with sub feature to it.
- Draw main idea or subject in the center, for ex: test plan for your project.
- Draw branches radiating from center to represent pages
- Draw branches to represent elements
- Draw branches to represent test case
- Keep sentences in each branch short
- Use color coding to group objects and to differentiate critical tasks from non-critical once
Let’stake look how Mind Map test case looks like Notepad testing.
Top 5 best Tools